Here are 5 easy tips to help keep your accounts safe.
- Use different passwords for your email, online banking, etc. Re-using passwords is risky, you run the risk of someone gaining access to all your information by just using one password.
- Use a mix of numbers, symbols, upper and lower case letters in your password to make it harder for someone to guess.
- Create a unique password that’s unrelated to your personal information and uses a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Make sure you have your information up-to-date, so that you can receive emails in case you need to reset your password. If possible, add a recovery phone number to receive password reset codes via text message.
- Don’t leave notes with your passwords and the corresponding site where people can easily see them and use them to compromise your accounts. If you choose to save passwords in a file on your computer, create a name for the file that won’t give it away.